The Aquatic Center will have an annual closing begins August 15th to cope with new equipment and maintenance, the center set to reopen September 5. Post file photo
Los Alamos County aquatics and project management staff coordinated efforts to improve aquatic center operations in two ways:
- Perform regular preventive maintenance of the pool surface to ensure long-term uninterrupted use and install and adjust the upgraded water filter associated with the project; and
- To provide aquatic center staff with the tools and training on new equipment to ensure proper operation and maintain water health standards.
The therapy pool is expected to close from August 15 and should reopen on September 5. The Olympic swimming pool is expected to close from August 19 and is also expected to reopen on September 5. This is to allow the realization of various projects related to the upgrading of the aquatic center and the elements of preventive maintenance.
The teams will fine-tune the improved filtration system of the Olympic swimming pool installed as part of the Leisure Lagoon project.
This work includes:
- Installation of new flow meters to help staff monitor water system flow;
- Installation of new electrical relays for the automation of the water system;
- Repair a section of leaking pipe; and
- Final adjustment of the water system and training of personnel on new equipment.
The preventative maintenance work that will be carried out by Aquatic Center staff includes:
- Drainage of the two swimming pools;
- Repaint the walls of the therapeutic pool;
- Resurfacing of the Olympic swimming pool;
- Deep cleaning of all locker rooms;
- Repaint the deck hatches; and
- Other necessary maintenance from daily use.
Work on the leisure lagoon continues, but significant delays in the supply chain of the remaining electrical components needed to operate the pool water system have caused disruptions to the project. Upon arrival and installation, the new pool will be plastered and then filled with water for hardening, and the water system can then be fine-tuned.
Completion of this work is scheduled for mid-October pending the arrival of all remaining electrical components.